Department
Interdisciplinary Studies
Course Code
I50 INTER D 175
Professor
Rob Morgan
Chapter
Hand

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Danielle Wilder
Hand Reflection
Usually I am a person that has an idea and just goes straight out and builds it, however in this
section I learned the value of prototyping. I learned that an idea is not constructed once but
morphed over and over again before a final conclusion is reached and achieved. I also learned
that I can draw! I have always doodled in my notes, but I have never really taken the time to
draw out something like Disney characters because I never was good at drawing when I was
little. Once I did, I kind of impressed myself and it was cool to see how this skill had adapted
over time. As well, I learned about how in a group project everyone individually a different job
and perspective has to bring that allows them to hold the piece to a bigger and better puzzle.
Each speaker spoke to a different way in which they prototype. All of these were unique in that
they each followed their own diverse process. However, they all communicated about the
necessity of this process in their work. Martin Goebel stated how prototyping “aligns ideas.”
Bruce Lindsey spoke about how prototyping “allows for you to test your idea quickly and
effectively.” And Curt Enderle told about how prototyping “addresses all the different paths that
create a full picture.” In our own lab we discovered the necessity of prototyping in order to create
a cohesive and practical idea amongst our entire group.
One thing that surprised me during this lab is how well my group worked together. Everyone had
different strengths that were utilized and put together. Further everyone was happy to do their
share of the work and flexible to others needs and ideas. As Curt Enderle put it, “the finished
project was very much a product of many minds melding together.”
In Bruce Lindsey’s presentation he talked about the idea of thinking and drawing as a cohesive
unit. He emphasized that “drawing is one of the fundamental ways that we connect with others in
our environment.” I hope to start utilizing drawing and doodling in my studies as a sort of
cognitive stimulation that allows me to not only connect with my work verbally, but non-
verbally as well. Another outlook from this section I want to apply in my own life is something
that Martin Goebel said surrounding “one foot in craft and the other in imagination.” I find that
often as we get older our work becomes less creative and more systematic. However, I want to
challenge myself to practice the imaginative side more often.
The most challenging aspect of this section I believe is learning how to do the type of
prototyping that does not just solve a problem, but instead uncovers a problem. I am more unsure
about how and where I could apply this realistically in my life, but I do see how it has played out
it innovations around us.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version