Department
Interdisciplinary Studies
Course Code
I50 INTER D 175
Professor
Rob Morgan
Chapter
Failure

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Failure Lab Reflection
Designing Creativity
Danielle Wilder
This section has been the most enlightening by far for me. I think by far the three most important
lessons I learned were through the lab. The first surrounds learning to laugh at failure. In the labs
we were able to laugh at our failure and to me I thought that was a huge lesson to think about.
The second involves the fact that so many students turned their failures into lessons or something
to grow from. This to me is always the key moment of failure in which you have to spin it
around into something positive and something you can grow from. The third revolves around the
idea of acknowledging failure as a whole. So often in our lives we see failure as such a low
moment and something that we try an avoid addressing or reliving at 3am when we can’t sleep.
However, the lab pushed me to seek out those low moments in my own life and embrace them
for what they are.
The biggest connection I drew between every lab, was the acceptance of failure, how it is only
inevitable. Rob Morgan’s presentation on failure addressed how it happens to all of us even the
celebrities, geniuses, and sport stars. Holden Thorp discussed failures within his own life. Our
peers demonstrated the several failures they saw in their own lives. Each piece of this section
ultimately showed that failure isn’t the opposite of success, but part of success depending on how
you take it.
What surprised me most about this section was how willingly students were able to share their
failures with each other and the class. For me, I really struggled to first off, come up with good
examples of failure and second off, be able to talk about it openly. However, the openness of
other students maintained was inspiring.
I believe I can apply the idea of rebounding from failure in my studies. Often, I can come out of
a difficult exam feeling defeated and depressed. However, in maintaining a mentality in which I
acknowledge my failure, but then ask myself, “How can I do better next time?” and learn from
the experience, I believe that I can make these failures more productive.
I also believe that I should apply the concept of acknowledging my failures in my day to life.
Often, I become absorbed in trying to be right and striving for perfection that I lose sight of the
failures that come along the way, which causes my head to grow quite a bit. I hope that through
taking my time to confront my failures for what they are and accepting that they are an integral
part of who I am, I will become humbler and more honest with others and with myself.
I find that the most challenging thing for me in this section to apply in my life would be not only
accepting failure but embracing it. We live in a world so dominated by everyone’s best
perceptions on social media that it hard to embrace the small flaws and moments as I don’t see
others doing the same. Especially in a school like WashU, where you are surrounded by
consistently achieving students it is hard to embrace something that does not make you look the
same, but in fact can make people look down upon you. Although, I do see the potential that can
come from embracing failure, in that I could become very comfortable with the uneasy feeling of
going against the grain and trying something new. I can see how applying this in my life would
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version