Department
Interdisciplinary Studies
Course Code
I50 INTER D 175
Professor
Rob Morgan
Chapter
Body

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Danielle Wilder
Body Reflection
One important lesson that stuck with me through this section was how the best designs consider
the people using them. That design, in this sense, is used as a tool to accomplish empathy in that
a designer must feel for the consumer or audience they are creating for. Furthermore, I learned
that through this idea of design as an active form of empathy the products and designs that
surround us are often particularly meant for us. However, then I questioned whether the everyday
designs were made for me or did I adjust to it? This is where the third lesson that resonated for
me came as we also talked about how we are conditioned to the designs that surround us.
The biggest connection I found between the lectures and the lab was surrounding balance.
Physically speaking, the talk about Parkinson’s Disease demonstrated how the act of exercise,
specifically tango, generally improved people’s balance. Metaphorically speaking, the lecture
over the body demonstrated how we can find balance or well-being with the body through acts
like sleeping, eating, and socializing. Emotionally speaking, the talk from David showed that
finding balance depends on your assumption on what is balance. He highlighted how we assume
no balance to be falling, but then exhibited that walking in itself is just falling and our feet
catching us. He continued to circle around that “falling is a way of life” and that our
“assumptions can block us.” It takes an overcoming of fear and this emotional aspect to
challenge these assumptions. I think this concept is also what I found to a bit confusing and
surprising. As a dancer, I was surprised that David believed that the way to teach balance was
through teaching people to fall. I understood this and would love to see this in action, however
then he went on to challenge our assumptions of what falling was and I became quite a bit
confused as to where he was going with that idea.
David said, “we don’t feel frustrated when we don’t care.” I believe after this week and the
frustrations I have felt in school, I could take a moment to realize that it is because I really care
about my academics. Further, David talked about how we need to find and search for motive and
activation in frustration. This is something I really feel I need to apply in my studies and actively
seek out. As well, David mentioned that “habit obscures novel.” While this is not something I
can apply in my life, I believe this realization can allow me to break out of my everyday routine.
I could even start small, like trying something new instead of a cliff bar for breakfast.
The subject I find to be challenging in this section is actually the idea of challenging things.
Whether it be against societal norms like a drag queen or against assumptions, I don’t generally
like to stir conflict and often challenging things can do that. However, I think there is a lot to
learn regarding the idea of questioning and challenging normal that I have yet to experience.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version