Department
Interdisciplinary Studies
Course Code
I50 INTER D 175
Professor
Rob Morgan
Chapter
Power

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Danielle Wilder
Power Reflection
Power is such an overarching term to me. And while we barely touched on power and all it
encompasses in this section, I did find that my perspective on it has shifted. I originally felt a
negative connotation with the word “power,” as I felt that power was linked with corruptness,
money, privilege, and oppression of others. However now, I see how varied and expressive it can
be. From types of power to different forms of power, I learned that it is much more than my
misconception. I learned how while power can be misused, it can also be utilized to promote
positive change. Ultimately, I discovered how power is wielded either for the better or for the
worse by those who hold it. This revelation put a whole new meaning to the quote, “with great
power comes great responsibility.” It is a force that may be utilized to enslave us or empower us.
It can plunge us into the depths of misery or take us to the heights of ecstasy. Therefore, most
importantly, I learned that we need to use power wisely.
Through our lab, I could see my group applying the concepts of power Liz discussed as we used
our creativity to build power and add credibility to our project. In this lab, we have been given
the power to make a change, something we, as young students, do not get very often. So, we
jumped on this opportunity and brainstormed how to harness and use it to its full potential. My
group discussed how power often is less about what you know, but rather who you know.
Therefore, through our lab, we reached out to peers and promoted action in order to expand our
power, just as Liz demonstrated many others do in her presentation. As well, this lab employs us
to use “design as power” and “model better alternatives,” just as De Nichols said to. Further,
Liz’s and De’s presentations both highlighted how power takes on many forms but is not
inherently bad. De described it as “strength” and a “gift.”
I was surprised how De taught that power justifies itself, in that people invent stories to
legitimize their power or lack thereof. Therefore, we can create narratives that influence people
to goodwill. This idea explains a lot of why the people who currently have power should have
power. Additionally, it presents just how we as people have the power to change the story, our
story, everyone’s story.
In my studies I can apply personal power through my ability to take action. Self-discipline begins
with mastering the power of my thoughts. This means that if I do not control what I think, I
cannot control what I do. So, I want to promote and apply a positive attitude and determination
in order to give me power over my circumstances instead of my circumstances having power
over me. For example, I can view my next chemistry exam as a chance to prove myself instead
or another chore to push through. While it may not change my grade, one of these perspectives
has the power to make the exam seem like an opportunity versus an obligation, which sounds
entirely more appealing.
In my life, I hope to utilize my power to empower greatness rather than corruption as power does
not corrupt people, people corrupt power. Power can too easily be abused, like a drug, and
thereby, if I ever wield it in my life, I aim to wield it responsibly and wisely.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version