Document Summary

Enhanced cognitive capacity in adolescence means that adolescents change in their self- conceptions, self-esteem, and their emotional understanding. In addition, it further means that adolescents change in their identities. Broad socialization: promote independent, individualistic self, encourage self-reflection, self-esteem valued highly. Interdependent self: needs and interests of others (i. e. , groups) take precedence over self-esteem. The term self-esteem was first coined by william james, an american, in the late 19th century. I have a dog named jake and a brother named silas. I"m good at sports, but not so good at school. I can also be self-conscious, even obnoxious when i"m upset . The capacity for abstract thought means an adolescent can distinguish between: Possible selves: who i might become . The formal operational ability to perceive multiple aspects of a situation or idea mean that self-understanding becomes more complex in adolescence. Self-esteem: refers to a person"s overall sense of worth and well-being.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers