FRHD 2280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Preadolescence, Psychoanalysis, Ethnography

31 views4 pages

Document Summary

Enhanced cognitive capacity in adolescence means that adolescents change in their self- conceptions, self-esteem, and their emotional understanding. In addition, it further means that adolescents change in their identities. The term (cid:862)self-esteem(cid:863) was first coined by william james, an american, in the late 19th century. I have a dog named jake and a brother named silas. I"m good at sports, but not so good at school: concrete terms, related to traits. I can also be self-conscious, even obnoxious when i"(cid:373) upset . i ha(cid:448)e a positi(cid:448)e (cid:448)ie(cid:449) of hu(cid:373)a(cid:374)ki(cid:374)d : trait-focused, traits more abstract, personality characteristics. The capacity for abstract thought means an adolescent can distinguish between: actual self: who am i, possible selves: who i might become. Ideal self: who i would like to be. The formal operational ability to perceive multiple aspects of a situation or idea mean that self- understanding becomes more complex in adolescence. Self esteem: refers to a perso(cid:374)"s o(cid:448)erall se(cid:374)se of (cid:449)orth a(cid:374)d (cid:449)ell (cid:271)ei(cid:374)g.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers