MK 210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Subliminal Stimuli, Absolute Threshold, Umbrella Brand

37 views2 pages
22 Aug 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Positivists: modern; there is one truth to why people do what they do. Interpretivists: post-modern; you"ll never find the one truth; instead of trying to understand a broad generalization, try to understand the depth of people"s behaviors and believes; find a deeper understanding. We don"t respond to all of the stimuli, because we have limited short-term memory: i can only select the most important stimuli to go through the attention gate. Things that are relevant to me/things i need. Things that are out of the ordinary. Subliminal perception (stimuli is below the level of awareness, below absolute threshold): seminal study: an intent to deceive is illegal. Level of concession items sold when there is no subliminal stimuli involved. Level of concession items sold when they are flashed on screen during movie. Two thresholds: absolute threshold: minimum intensity that a stimuli needs to be at for us to attend to it and pick it up with our sensory receptors.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers