BIO 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 21: Cytochrome C, Pyruvate Dehydrogenase, Oxidative Phosphorylation

87 views8 pages

Document Summary

Its purpose is to capture energy from oxidation of nadh and fadh2 to transfer h+ across inner mitochondrial membrane e. i. When nadh and fadh2 give away their electrons, it is exergonic, and that energy is harnessed e. iii. It is harnessed by pumping protons up their gradient across the inner- mitochondrial membrane: at the end of this process, we have oxygen f. i. Where all of the electrons end up going f. iv. These are eventually coupled to reduction of oxygen g. iii. 1. When you reduce oxygen, you get water: occurs in the inner mitochondrial membrane h. i. Most of these proteins play a role in the electron transport system h. ii. 1. The inner-mitochondrial membrane is essentially completely devoted to this process i. Electron transport is a function of reduction potential i. i. In order for an oxidation reaction to be coupled to a reduction reaction, the compounds being oxidized and reduced have to have appropriate reduction potentials relative to each other i. ii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers