PSY 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Narcolepsy, Olfactory Bulb, Retina

78 views7 pages

Document Summary

Immediate, basic components of a sense experience (at the neural level; Process by which our sensory receptors and nervous system receive and represent stimuli from the environment: perception b. i. b. ii. Organization of sensation component into a recognizable form, object or event. Process of organizing and interpreting sensory info enables recognition of meaningful objects and events: two main processes, bottom up initiated by stimulus input (sensation; data driven) a. i. a. ii. a. iii. Stimulus is clear and unambiguous: top down initiated by prior expectation or belief (perception; knowledge driven) b. i. b. ii. b. iii. Smell air chemicals: the senses, taste a. i. a. ii. a. iii. a. iv. Chemicals dissolve in saliva move into fungiform papillae papillae contain taste buds (neurons that respond and fire to one particular flavor) Basic tastes = sweet, sour, salty, bitter (5th taste umami) Supertaster = abundance of taste buds, more sensitive to flavors a. v. Expectations and beliefs: smell b. i. b. ii, vision c. i. c. ii. a. v. 2. a. v. 3.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers