PSYC 401 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Basal Metabolic Rate, Poikilotherm, Allostasis

20 views10 pages
23 Dec 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Temperature regulation: vital to normal functioning of many behavioral processes. Homeostasis physiological process to maintain certain body functions within a fixed range i. e. temp regulation and other biological processes, important for survival and comfort-level i. e. salt levels in blood, ph level of blood. Allostasis refers to adaptive way in which body anticipates needs depending on the situation i. e. trying to anticipate need for water, food. Set point a single value that the body tries to maintain. These set points can change e. g. , many animals increase body fat. Levels of water, oxygen, glucose, calcium, protein, fat, acidity in in the fall body. Negative feedback processes that reduce discrepancies from the set point. Basal metabolism energy used to maintain a constant body temperature while at rest. Basal metabolic rate = amt of energy expressed in calories that a person needs to keep body functioning while at rest. Maintaining temperature requires 2x as much energy as all other activities combined.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers