J 101 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Preposition And Postposition, Independent Clause, Albus Dumbledore

71 views9 pages
15 Sep 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Reminder: singular pronoun takes the place of a singular noun, ex: jonas threw the ball. He threw the ball: plural pronouns take the place of plural nouns, ex: they, them etc, personal pronouns, ex: i, mine etc. Infinitive: to be: gerund: a noun derived from a verb, ends in ing, looks like a verb, functions like a noun, ex: shooting hoops is fun. Compliment vs. complement: compliment: saying something nice to someone, ex: you look beautiful, complement: two things that match or support each other, ex: the wine complements the steak. Revisiting clauses: dependent clause: part of a sentence, cannot stand on its own, depends on other elements to complete the sentence. Independent clause: subject & verb, can stand alone. Ex: i go to the university of oregon and major in journalism. I am a resident, so i pay lower tuition. I am a resident and i pay lower tuition. *knowing the clauses determines the punctuation in a sentence.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers