BIOL 221 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Zona Glomerulosa, Macula Densa, Angiotensin

8 views4 pages

Document Summary

Aldosterone: secreted by zona glomerulosa, secreted, response to renin-angiotensin pathway, when k+ levels rise (hyperkalemia, when na+ levels drop (hyponatremia, when acth is secreted by adenohypophysis (minor, in response to dehydration. Aldosterone is secreted by the zona glomerulosa (outermost zone of the adrenal cortex; a&p i: endocrine system). It is secreted in response to the renin-angiotensin pathway that occurs when blood pressure or blood volume drop. A rise in plasma potassium levels (hyperkalemia) or a drop in plasma sodium (hyponatremia) also causes secretion. It is also secreted when acth levels are high; stimulation by acth is normally minor. It is also secreted when dehydration is sensed by the hypothalamus. The renin-angiotensin pathway works as follows: renin catalyzes the conversion of angiotensinogen (what organ produces this plasma protein?) to angiotensin i which is then carried to the lungs. In the lungs ace converts angiotensin i to angiotensin ii. Angiotensin ii increases thirst, increases salt appetite, and increases adh and aldosterone secretion.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers