PHIL1004 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Existence Of God, Omnipotence, Intelligent Designer

58 views3 pages
23 May 2018
School
Department
Course
ARGUMENTS AGAINST THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
Why would such an intelligent designer design a world like ours?
E.g. sick children, irrationality, poverty, famines, refugees crisis.
LECTURE 2.1 27/02
EVIL AND OMNIPOTENCE J MACKIE
- I its siplest for the prole is this: God is omnipotent; God is wholly good; and yet evil exists.
There seems to be some contradiction between these three propositions, so that if any two of them
ere true the third ould e false.
A. Adequate Solutions
- If ou do’t eliee God is oipotet the the prole of eil does ot eist.
B. Fallacious Solutions
- Good aot eist ithout eil or Eil is eessar as a outerpart to good. this liits God’s
poer as it suggests God aot reate good ithout siultaeousl reatig eil
- Eil is eessar as a eas to good. would be resolved if God is omnipotent and answerable to
himself.
- The uierse is etter ith soe eil i it tha it ould e if there ere o eil
o God is not concerned with evil only with promoting good
- Eil is due to hua freeill
o first order eil e.g. pai a e justified as a logiall eessar opoet i seod
order good (e.g. sympathy) while second order evil (e.g. cruelty) is not justified, but is so
ascribed to human beings that God cannot be held responsible for it. This combination
evades my third criticism of the preceding solution.
o However why does God refrain from controlling will to stop evil?
- God’s oipotee ust e restrited i oe a
MACKIE ARGUMENT THE PROBLEM OF GOD
- What is the philosophers argument?
- Is it true for the belief that you have?
Inconsistent Triad
1. God is omnipotent (Assumption 1 Omnipotence is unlimited)
2. God is wholly good (Assumption 2 Good eliminates evil as far as it can))
3. Yet evil exists
1. God is omnipotent & wholly good
2. Evil exists
3. (Given 2) 1 must be false
God cannot be both omnipotent and wholly good
Therefore there is no God
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

E. g. sick children, irrationality, poverty, famines, refugees crisis. 27/02 (cid:862)i(cid:374) its si(cid:373)plest for(cid:373) the pro(cid:271)le(cid:373) is this: god is omnipotent; god is wholly good; and yet evil exists. There seems to be some contradiction between these three propositions, so that if any two of them (cid:449)ere true the third (cid:449)ould (cid:271)e false. (cid:863: adequate solutions. God"s o(cid:373)(cid:374)ipote(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:373)ust (cid:271)e restri(cid:272)ted i(cid:374) o(cid:374)e (cid:449)a(cid:455) God cannot be both omnipotent and wholly good. Good cannot exist without evil (they are conceptual counterparts so (cid:1006)&(cid:1007) (cid:373)ust go together(cid:895). Mackie objection 1: this sets a logical limit on what god can do. Maybe there should be logical limits on omnipotence. Ma(cid:272)kie o(cid:271)je(cid:272)tio(cid:374) (cid:1006): god (cid:374)e(cid:448)er produ(cid:272)es (cid:894)a(cid:271)solute(cid:895) (cid:862)good(cid:863). There would always need to be at least a ti(cid:374)(cid:455) (cid:271)it of e(cid:448)il for good to e(cid:454)ist. (cid:862)better tha(cid:374)(cid:863) Evil is a necessary means to good (2&3 must go together) Mackie objection: this sets a (casual) limit on what god can do.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers