26 May 2018
School
Department
Course
9.2 WHAT IS A GENDER DIFFERENCE?
What is gender?
Answer 1: genetic sex Chromosomes XX and XY
Answer 2: biological sex includes genetic + genitalia
Answer 3: gender identity Born male/female but feel should have been born female/male
Woa
Commonality Problem
Is there anything that (biologically-sexed) females have in common that qualifies them as
woman?
Cadidates…
- feiie appeaae e.g. hat aout oe that aet feiie?
- Social roles e.g. woman as housewives
- Psychological dispositions, abilities or behavioural traits e.g. mothers being caring
Natural dispositios or ultural epetatios?
Examples in the animal kingdom e.g. marmoset, Emperor penguins, Spotted hyena,
Booos. Gede set up ist taditioal. Tpial to species.
Is there athig tpiall oo to woe? How would you distinguish between
these expectations.
Butler: No
Normativity Challenge
- Issue about the project of coming up with an answer
- E.g. Ladlike. Descriptive: are (typically) like this, fact. Normative: should/ought to be
like this, involves evaluation, value.
- Concern about how Descriptive and Normative divide.
- A defiitio of hat a oa is ill e value-laden and will marginalise certain
females; privilege others; and reinforce current gender norms (Butler 1990)
- E.g. the representation of women in certain industries such as maths and philosophy.
o Descriptive: There is a very low representation of women in maths and
philosoph. Woe dot hoose aees i aths o philosoph. Caees i
maths or philosophy are unsuitable to women. Women are less able than men in
maths or philosophy. Women should not choose a career in maths or philosophy.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Answer 1: genetic sex chromosomes xx and xy. Answer 2: biological sex includes genetic + genitalia. Answer 3: gender identity born male/female but feel should have been born female/male (cid:862)wo(cid:373)a(cid:374)(cid:863) Examples in the animal kingdom e. g. marmoset, emperor penguins, spotted hyena, Ge(cid:374)de(cid:396) set up is(cid:374)(cid:859)t t(cid:396)aditio(cid:374)al. (cid:862)t(cid:455)pi(cid:272)al(cid:863) to species. Issue about the project of coming up with an answer. Normative: should/ought to be like this, involves evaluation, value. Concern about how descriptive and normative divide. A(cid:374)(cid:455) defi(cid:374)itio(cid:374) of (cid:862)(cid:449)hat a (cid:449)o(cid:373)a(cid:374) is(cid:863) (cid:449)ill (cid:271)e value-laden and will marginalise certain females; privilege others; and reinforce current gender norms (butler 1990) E. g. the representation of women in certain industries such as maths and philosophy: descriptive: there is a very low representation of women in maths and philosoph(cid:455). Wo(cid:373)e(cid:374) do(cid:374)(cid:859)t (cid:272)hoose (cid:272)a(cid:396)ee(cid:396)s i(cid:374) (cid:373)aths o(cid:396) philosoph(cid:455). Ca(cid:396)ee(cid:396)s i(cid:374) maths or philosophy are unsuitable to women. Women are less able than men in maths or philosophy.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers