POLS1002 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Public Good, Collective Action, Children'S Book Council Of Australia

18 views3 pages
FINAL LECTURE
- Why do we study political science?
- What did we learn this year?
- What’s o the fial ea?
- Politics is the systematic study of government
o The fundamental unit of analysis is power
- Manifestations of power in this course:
o Public good
o Collective action
o Cooperation and conflict
o Federation
o Execution
o Parties/elections/party systems
o Judicial power not a manifestation of power that is often thought of.
Public Goods
- Politial siee is the stud of ho gets hat, he, ad ho
o Public goods. a idiisile thig that is supplied joitl to all potetial users
Lighthouse
o Network (language/internet)
o Pure (fireworks)
o Rival (roads)
o Vs Private (iPad)
Collective Action
- Political science is also about solving the collection problem: Partiipatio ad
contribution by individual members of any interest groups to the provision of public
goods politial parties
o Size of the group
o Common interest
o Provision of goods
o Trust built over time
Community
- The problem of politics is community. A set of people aeptig to ake eforeale
olletie deisios o issues of oo iterest
o Taxes
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Politics is the systematic study of government: the fundamental unit of analysis is power. Manifestations of power in this course: public good, collective action, cooperation and conflict, federation, execution, parties/elections/party systems, judicial power not a manifestation of power that is often thought of. Politi(cid:272)al s(cid:272)ie(cid:374)(cid:272)e is the stud(cid:455) (cid:862)of (cid:449)ho gets (cid:449)hat, (cid:449)he(cid:374), a(cid:374)d ho(cid:449)(cid:863: public goods. (cid:862)a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)isi(cid:271)le (cid:862)thi(cid:374)g(cid:863) that is supplied joi(cid:374)tl(cid:455) to all pote(cid:374)tial users, lighthouse, network (language/internet, pure (fireworks, rival (roads, vs private (ipad) The problem of politics is community. (cid:862)a set of people a(cid:272)(cid:272)epti(cid:374)g to (cid:373)ake e(cid:374)for(cid:272)ea(cid:271)le (cid:272)olle(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e de(cid:272)isio(cid:374)s o(cid:374) issues of (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)o(cid:374) i(cid:374)terest(cid:863: taxes, rules, even if you disagree. Institutions and behaviour fundamental concepts in political science. Institutions: the rules of the political game: rule of law, electoral rules, parliamentary and presidential systems, federalism. Behaviour: the agents (or the players: political parties, leaders, executives.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers