BIOM20002 Lecture Notes - Lecture 50: Nosebleed, Mucus, Pharynx

16 views5 pages
8 Sep 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Some ligaments and folds allow us to make sound. Pharynx: back part of nasal, oral cavity and larynx. Most of nasal cavity and airways is lined by highly vascular mucus membrane with a specific type of epithelium. Vascularity war(cid:373)s air that"s co(cid:373)i(cid:374)g i(cid:374). cold air ca(cid:374) cause spas(cid:373)s i(cid:374) s(cid:373)ooth (cid:373)uscle i(cid:374) lungs. Also humidifies air since mucus is moist (top 1/3). Epithelia divided into olfactory area and respiratory area (bottom 2/3). Connect to the first cranial nerve to brain. Respiratory area: cells have cilia which push mucus up and out. Vestibule: entrance into nasal cavity covered by hairy skin. Nose bleeds caused by damage to vasculature beyond the vestibule. Turbinates/conchae are projections of bone that hang off the lateral wall. Role: to produce turbulence in air breathed in to keep air in more contact with vasculature to warm up. So any swelling due to inflammation/mucus production can easily block the airway.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers