LLB 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Lexisnexis, Australian Law Journal, Statutory Interpretation

48 views2 pages
31 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Week 11 Statutory Interpretation
“pigela CJ: the ost ipotat sigle aspet of legal patie. “igifiat aeas of the
la ae deteied etiel  statute
The courts are guided but not compelled by Parliament in relation to relevant matters in
determining unconscionability
Even when the court is restricted to matters set out in an Act, there may be room for
judicial discretion
Common law
Ratio/precedent
Can be difficult to find
Problems associated with the law of consensus
Legislation
Fixed verbal form
Complex and lengthy
Ambiguity
- The nature of the language flexible creates ambiguity, assumption of law that
language is capable of carrying a reasonably clear meaning
- Words have multiple meanings e.g. sanction
The task of the outs is to interpret the words used by Parliament. ... The courts must
determine what Parliament meant by the words used. The courts do not determine what
Paliaet iteded to sa.
‐ J J “pigela, The Itoleale Westle: Deelopets i “tatuto Itepetatio 
84 Australian Law Journal 822, 828.
Use of table of proisions to gain oerie of legislation and its purpose
1. Check whether relevant words are defined in the Act
2. Give words their ordinary meaning, or where appropriate, their technical or legal
meaning
3. Ensure the meaning promotes/best achieves the purpose of the Act
4. If necessary, use extrinsic material s 34 IA
Interpretation legislation
A search for grammatical meaning still constitutes the starting point. But if the grammatical
meaning of a provision does not give effect to the purpose of the legislation, the
grammatical meaning cannot prevail. It must give way to the construction which will
promote [best achieve] the purpose or object of the Act. The Acts Interpretation Act 1901
(Cth), s15AA, and the Interpretation Act 1987 (NSW), s33, both require this approach to
statutory construction.
Kingston v Keprose Pty Ltd (1987) 11 NSWLR 404, 423 (McHugh, J).
Person includes individual and corporation
Gender reference to one gender includes the othe ‐ see, s AIA(Cth); s8 IA(NSW)
Multiples ods i sigula ilude plual ‐ see, s AIA(Cth); s8 IA(NSW)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Pigel(cid:373)a(cid:374) cj: (cid:862)the (cid:373)ost i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ta(cid:374)t si(cid:374)gle aspe(cid:272)t of legal p(cid:396)a(cid:272)ti(cid:272)e. ig(cid:374)ifi(cid:272)a(cid:374)t a(cid:396)eas of the la(cid:449) a(cid:396)e dete(cid:396)(cid:373)i(cid:374)ed e(cid:374)ti(cid:396)el(cid:455) (cid:271)(cid:455) statute(cid:863) The courts are guided but not compelled by parliament in relation to relevant matters in determining unconscionability. Even when the court is restricted to matters set out in an act, there may be room for judicial discretion. Common law: ratio/precedent, can be difficult to find, problems associated with the law of consensus. Legislation: fixed verbal form, complex and lengthy, ambiguity. The nature of the language flexible creates ambiguity, assumption of law that language is capable of carrying a reasonably clear meaning. Words have multiple meanings e. g. sanction (cid:858)the task of the (cid:272)ou(cid:396)ts is to interpret the words used by parliament. The courts must determine what parliament meant by the words used. J j pigel(cid:373)a(cid:374), (cid:858)the i(cid:374)tole(cid:396)a(cid:271)le w(cid:396)estle: de(cid:448)elop(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts i(cid:374) tatuto(cid:396)(cid:455) i(cid:374)te(cid:396)p(cid:396)etatio(cid:374)(cid:859) (cid:894)(cid:1006)(cid:1004)(cid:1005)(cid:1004)(cid:895) A search for grammatical meaning still constitutes the starting point.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers