PHIL 1200 Lecture Notes - Joel Feinberg, Immanence, Historical Fiction

27 views4 pages

Document Summary

Immanent meaning and worthwhile activities. After a rather long discussion (155- 60) of the various things that other philosophers (e. g. , In order to purchase food. In order to stay alive and healthy. So that they can work at their jobs. So that they can purchase food. And so on, around the circle, over and over, with no significant culmination in sight. Feinberg (169- 70), activities of self- fulfillment. Essentially, activities that flow from, and also develop, our distinctly human dispositions (or our human. Supermarket regressactivities that ow from, and develop, our distinctlyhuman dispositions (natures). distinct human psychological traits (or personality traits) that strongly incline us towards certain sorts of activities. supermarket regress. Consider, for example, the following personality trait that i have: my love of cooking (or being a foodie ). And it is, moreover, a distinctly human trait: only humans seem ever to have that sort of trait. So my penchant for cooking is a distinctly human disposition.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers