Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1301
Professor
Nalini E Ramlakhan
Semester
Winter

Description
February 4 , 2014 Personal Identity What is personal identity? • Descartes: “I think therefore I am” • For those who reject dualism – issue of what “self” is Problem of personal identity • What makes you the same person through time and space o Dualist – your body is not your identity; entirely of mental substance (soul/mind)  Problems: experiences are bodily David Hume • No self – only sequence of experience and body in which these sequences occurs What makes a person a person? • Ship of Theseus o Ship made of wood is entirely rebuilt gradually overtime. Continues to function o Is it the same ship?  Most say yes  What is all the old pieces are used to create another ship – which one is the original? • Something more in the case of personal identity • John Locke o Personal identity is a matter of psychological continuity and conscious memories  If a prince and a cobbler switch bodies, they would be the same person but would it be the same man? o Persons are independent of bodies o Distinction between what it is like to be a human vs. a person (self)  Human is tied to body  Person involves consciousness o Issues:  No flow of consciousness that Locke requires – moments of forgetfulness, unconsciousness, blurred memories o Same consciousness at different times that allows for personal identity o Locke singled out memory as central to personal identity – if I remember doing something, then I am the same person that did that thing o Self is capable of conscious emotions concerning themselves o Thomas Reid: well known for criticisms of Locke’s memory criterion of identity  Eg. General (in reading) • A B C
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1301

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit