Psychology (2,614)
PSYC 2700 (114)

Cognitive Pscy: History

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
PSYC 2700
Chris Herdman

th Lecture 1­ Sept. 9  Cognitive Psychology  2700 • Cognitive Psychology: How knowledge flows through our system, how knowledge is represented, and how the flow in the mind is restricted. • Roots In Psychology 1. Plato I. Ancient Greek philosopher II. Had a theory of forms. We do not perceive the real world. We instead have knowledge structures in the mind (largely innately given) which reflect specific representations in the physical world. III. Coding was not considered 2. Aristotle I. More active view of the mind. Said the mind is a blank slate, and experience is very important to shape this. Knowledge is based on associations of sensations, images, and ideas. II. Knowledge can transform/influence perceptions and learning. 3. A. British Empiricists I. Also known as associationists followed Aristotle. II. Knowledge is based on associations III. Association=Process, Stored Knowledge=Structure B. Empirical Roots I. Structuralism: Study of the structure of consciousness II. Wundt: Study of “conscious process and immediate experience”. Founder of introspection technique (describing an object by how it looks, not what it is). 4. Titchener I. Followed Wundt’s approach II. Structuralism III. Avoided “stimulus error”: describing of the mental experience, not the physical stimulus. • Introspection: The examination or observation of one's own mental and emotional processes: "quiet introspection can be extremely valuable". 1. Problems with introspection I. The “Boss” Validated the Results: Wundt and Tichner decided which observations were correct II. Cannot introspect on many mental processes/structures. • Associationism: Study of knowledge as learned associations. 1. Ebbinghaus I. Learn through association (Aristotle’s view) II. Nonsense syllables: No meaning, therefore reduced extraneous confounds III. Isolated Factors Affecting Learning and Memory: learning curves/rates, factors that impact forgetting • Functionalism 1. James I. Early experimental lab in Harvard. Did more philosophy then psychology II. Looked at how the mind functioned and adapted III. Looked at memory structure and process i. Immediate (active, aware, short term) ii. Hidden (passive, unaware, long term) IV. Attentional limits • Gestalt 1. Wertheimer & Kohler I. Laws of perceptual organizations, ex. 3 black dots and 3 white instead of 6 dots
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2700

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.