LING 321 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Illocutionary Act, Linguistic Competence, Communicative Competence

39 views3 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 7 communicative development: learning to use language. Linguistic competence: the ability to produce and understand well-formed meaningful sentences. Communicative competence: the ability to use sentences appropriately in various communicative interactions: pragmatics, discourse, sociolinguistics. When we talk, we do things with words : ex: i now declare you husband and wife this sentence does something. Speech act theory: the content, intended function, and effect. These components of a sentence are separate things. Ex: my mother wants to borrow a cup of sugar : content: a statement about my mother, intended function: to request sugar, effect: what i accomplish (borrowing some sugar) Intended function (illocutionary force): request, promise, offer, suggestion, warning, etc. Perlocution: getting the salt (if you do not get the salt you do not have perlocution if it does not have an effect, you don"t have perlocution) You ask for the salt, people realize you want the salt and pass it to you.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers