PHIL 2070 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Tom Regan, Seal Hunting, Welfarism

15 views3 pages

Document Summary

Peter singer (utilitarian perspective: (cid:862)all a(cid:374)i(cid:373)als are equal(cid:863, utilitarian moral framework. Tom regan (kantian perspective: (cid:862)the (cid:272)ase for a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al rights(cid:863) Description of animal welfarists: might come to similar conclusions about practical issues concerning animals. I. e. seal hu(cid:374)t, eati(cid:374)g orga(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:272)hi(cid:272)ke(cid:374), (cid:373)ouse traps . Both singer and regan would probably come to the same conclusions about practical issues, but have different arguments and concepts. Inegalitarian society: you are a member of a group that is automatically considered to have intrinsic value. Moral standing i. e. morally considerable: you are taken into account, moral considerability is owed to all. The kind of being to whom duties are owed or expected: knowing right from wrong. You know the nature of right and wrong and act accordingly. A kind of being who is involved in the moral community, who has moral standing, yet they do not necessarily have the capacity to know right and wrong: babies for example.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers