ERS 234 Lecture 2: Lecture 2 Forest Biology and Ecology September 19

6 Pages

Department
Environment and Resource Studies
Course Code
ERS234
Professor
Maren Oelbermann

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 2 Forest Biology and Ecology September 19, 2016 Forest Biomes of the World - Biome: collection of ecosystems that are similar or related to one another based on the types of plants they support o Climate o Geology o Ecological factors o Anthropogenic factors Factors Affecting Vegetation Distribution: Climate Change & Soil - Amount of Solar Radiation o Major control of climate and forest types - Seasonal variation in temperature - Precipitation o Water availability and evaporation  Abundant precipitation: tropical forests o Soil fertility influences vegetation patterns  Evergreen plants: infertile soil  Deciduous plants: fertile soil Factors Affecting Vegetation Distribution: Disturbance - Intensity, frequency, and type of disturbance o Influence biome distribution o Influence species composition - Natural Disturbance o Fire, wind, drought - Anthropogenic disturbance o Land clearing, fire suppression, timber harvest o Climate change Factors Affecting Latitudinal Vegetation Distribution - Distribution of Forest biomes o Distribution of terrestrial biomes  Climate, geology, ecology, anthropogenic factors. Vegetation Distribution: Climate - Species composition and forest structure o Germination, reproduction, growth  Solar radiation, water, nutrients, and temperature Vegetation Distribution: Solar Radiation - Solar radiation is a major control on earth’s climate Vegetation Distribution: Water - Water availability o Amount of precipitation  Tropics vs. subtropics vs. temperate vs. boreal o Ability to dry (evaporation)  Temperate/tropics vs. desert - Location with respect to large body of water o Coastal areas vs. inland areas o Large lakes (i.e. great lakes) Vegetation Distribution: Soil - Parent material & climate o Type of bedrock o High rainfall, freeze-thaw - Degree of soil weathering o Nutrient leaching - Young vs. old soil o Recent glaciation (young) o High leeched (old) o Alluvial deposits (river delta)  Difficult to form soils. Vegetation Distribution: Natural & Anthropogenic - Disturbance o Intensity o Frequency o Type - Natural o Fire o Wind o Drought - Anthropogenic o Land clearing o Timber harvest o Fire suppression Vegetation Classification Systems - Many different systems but all based on: o Climate o Appearance of vegetation o Deciduous vs. evergreen - Some systems are very broad others are very detailed - Biome = broadest classification Major Global Forest Biomes - Boreal Forest o Northern hemisphere only  Occupy 30% of total global land area  Canada has a large proportion of boreal forest o Harsh Climate  Long, cold winters  Some areas have permafrost o Soil development is slow  Poorly drained soil  Accumulation of peat mosses & sphagnum  Young soils derived from recent glaciation o Low tree species diversity  9 dominant species  Low diversity due to recent glaciation  Composition strongly influenced by topography and soil type  Species characterizing the boreal forest:  Spruce & larch: dominate poorly drained soil  Pines: dominate well drained upland soil  Poplar, fir, willow (and some spruce): dominate fine textured upland soil  Bryophytes, lichens, mosses, sphagnum o Canopy designed to minimize accumulation of snow and maximize exposure to the sun. o Fire is an important natural disturbance to this forest  Fire influences species composition, nutrient availability & productivity o Least managed forest biome  Low growth rates, inaccessibility  Commercial logging occurs in Southern Boreal  Few plantations exist  Good example of sustainable plantation management  Affected by air pollution for nickel and iron ore mines. - Temperate Broadleaf Deciduous Forests o Occupy 7% of global area  North America, Europe, Asia  Absent from Southern Hemisphere except Chile o Large range of climate o Occur on highly variable soil types  Young and infertile  Weathered and fertile o Higher diversity than boreal  30 plant families  Composition depends on topography, soil fertility, and successional status. o 4-8 month growing season o Riparian forests important in flood control o Forest clearing due to fertile soil o Not highly managed (selective logging, short rotation plantings)  Uneven-aged and even-aged management practices are sustainable in this forest biome - Temperate Needle Evergreen Forest
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit