BIOL 121 Lecture Notes - Bioremediation, Habitat Destruction, Overfishing
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 6 pages of the document.
ECOLOGY 11: BIODIVERSITY AND CONSERVATION BIOLOGY
By the end of this lecture you should be able to:
Describe three levels of biodiversity.
Explain biodiversity in terms of species richness and species diversity.
Describe the importance and benefits of biodiversity.
Outline threats to biodiversity.
Discuss conservation issues with respect to preserving biodiversity.
Text Readings: Chapter 55
VISTA quiz: Biodioversity and Conservation must be completed before class starts.
LEVELS OF BIODIVERSITY
1) Genetic Biodiversity
New material for selection
2) Species Biodiversity
You can look at the absolute number of species and the abundance of each
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
3) Ecosystem Biodiversity
Looking at both abiotic and biotic factors of the ecosystem
How many species?
Global pattern of diversity
Figure 55.4 a and b
Benefits of Biodiversity
- Biological processes improve abiotic environment - increase with biodiversity
- Increase in biodiversity = increase in primary production
- Helps humans learn about adaptations
- Increases the variety of food humans consume
- Helps develop medicines
- Energy (fossil fuels = extinct species)
- Ecotourism! (human enjoyment)
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version