4 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
POLS 1101
Professor
Kyle Christensen
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
American Government
Chapter 2: Part 1
GOT EXAMS BACK
CLASS THIS WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY AND NEXT MONDAY
Domestic Policy (Ch. 13)
Poverty Alleviation
Money is an Issue
Redistributive policies (takes money from one person and gives it to someone
else) causes conflict
Means Testing – want to make sure you are broke (different poverty
thresholds in different areas), faulty because if you make even a little more
than the threshold, then they won’t help you, can act as a dis-incentive, can be
avoided by graduating the program, re-distributing, and better testing
No one wants to be rich
Groups that benefit
Elderly – entitlement
The Middle Class – Tax Code (property-owners), can save more and
benefit from the system
Wealth is inter-generational (goes from one generation to the next)
Retirement programs will eventually bankrupt us
Foreign Policy (Ch.14)

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
American Government Chapter 2: Part 1  GOT EXAMS BACK  CLASS THIS WEDNESDAYAND FRIDAYAND NEXT MONDAY  Domestic Policy (Ch. 13)  PovertyAlleviation  Money is an Issue  Redistributive policies (takes money from one person and gives it to someone else) causes conflict  Means Testing – want to make sure you are broke (different poverty thresholds in different areas), faulty because if you make even a little more than the threshold, then they won’t help you, can act as a dis-incentive, can be avoided by graduating the program, re-distributing, and better testing  No one wants to be rich  Groups that benefit • Elderly – entitlement • The Middle Class – Tax Code (property-owners), can save more and benefit from the system  Wealth is inter-generational (goes from one generation to the next)  Retirement programs will eventually bankrupt us  Foreign Policy (Ch.14)  Interactions With Foreign Power  PRESIDENT  Department of Defense - Conflict  State Department – Diplomacy  Why doesn’t Congress (535 members) deal with foreign affairs?  They’d never agree on foreign policy  Powers they have in relation to foreign policy – • Power to Declare War • Power of Confirmation • Advise and consent on treaties (ratification) • Power of the Purse – they control the nation’s budget (president has to ask for permission from Congress whenever money is involved)  Short-term/Incremental Policy  Short-term: President in office for maximum of 8yrs, not a long time to implement your foreign policy  Incremental: President’s don’t inherit a blank slate (th
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit