AJ 025 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Nonpartisanism, United States District Court, Judicial Independence

5 views2 pages

Document Summary

Difference between article i courts and article iii courts: pg. If a court is established, and judges are appointed to exercise the judicial power of the. United states, they are article iii judges and are appointed by president (constitutional courts) If a court implements legislation, they are article i courts (legislative courts) Judges who are hearing amnesty claims at the border: administrative law judges who hear social security claims. Judges: don"t want them fearing a popular reaction from an unpopular decision they offer, also don"t want: want independence and accountability at the same time. One way of ensuring judicial independence is appointment for life (good behavior: can rule without fear or favor, start to think they"re god (too much power, what i think is best is what the law requires. Political accountability: have to stand for reelection, have to run on your record: you can be voted out of office if you"re acting on judicial activism.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers