BIOL 1209 Lecture Notes - Absorbance, Photosynthetic Pigment, Graduated Cylinder

7 views6 pages
7 Jun 2018
School
Course
Professor
BIOL 1209
Writing Assignment 2
Cover Sheet
I certify that the writing in this assignment is my individual work and is my sole
intellectual property. It does not contain the ideas or writing of other individuals/authors.
_________________ ______________
Author Date
____________ ______________
Lab Instructor Lab Section #
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Population and Community Ecology Results Testing Different Abiotic and Biotic Factors
General Research Question on Chlamydomonas:
Chlamydomonas is a unicellular green algae (Chlorophyta). These green algae live in
different environments all around the world. They can be found in soil, fresh water, oceans, and
even in snow on mountaintops. The most widely used laboratory species is Chlamydomonas
reinhardtii. Cells of this species are haploid and can grow on a simple medium of inorganic salts,
using photosynthesis to provide energy (About Chlamydomonas). Deriving energy from
photosynthesis, with an alternative carbon source of acetate, C. reinhardtii can also thrive in total
darkness (About Chlamydomonas). Over the years, studied of Chlamydomonas have provided
major research contributions in the areas of photosynthesis and molecular biology (Merchant et
al., 2007). Over the years, students at LSU perform experiments on the Chlamydomonas to see
how abiotic factors (pH, temperature, nitrate, phosphate, gas exchange, and light intensity) and
biotic factors affect this alga. We decided to manipulate the environmental factor of gas
exchange and see the impact of this factor in the density of the algae population. During this
experiment, we tested the algae in three different environments (no parafilm, small holes poked
in parafilm, and covered in parafilm) over the course of four weeks. My question is how the
different environments will affect the Chlamydomonas population density over a time span of 4
weeks.
Chlorophyll Abundance and pH in the University Lake:
Chlorophyll is a green photosynthetic pigment found in plants, algae, and cyanobacteria.
Chlorophyll absorbs mostly in the blue and to a lesser extent red portions of the electromagnetic
spectrum, hence its intense green color. Green substance in producers that traps light energy
from the sun, which is then used to combine carbon dioxide and water into sugars in the process
of photosynthesis chlorophyll is vital for photosynthesis, which helps plants get energy from
light (chlorophyll). We decided to test the abiotic factor of pH and how the chlorophyll will grow
as the pH levels change in water during different seasons. My question is how do the pH levels
in the University Lake affect the chlorophyll abundance during the fall, summer, and spring from
2015 to 2018?
Population Ecology Null Hypothesis: There will be no difference in the population density of
Chlamydomonas when put in different environments over the course of four weeks.
Population Ecology Alternative Hypothesis: There will be a difference in the population
density of Chlamydomonas when put in different environments over the course of four weeks.
Community Ecology Null Hypothesis: The pH levels of the lake will have no effect on the
chlorophyll abundance in the University Lake during the fall, summer, and spring from 2015 to
Community Ecology Alternative Hypothesis: The pH levels of the lake will have an effect on
the chlorophyll abundance in the University Lake during the fall, summer, and spring from 2015
to 2018.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

I certify that the writing in this assignment is my individual work and is my sole intellectual property. It does not contain the ideas or writing of other individuals/authors. Population and community ecology results testing different abiotic and biotic factors. These green algae live in different environments all around the world. They can be found in soil, fresh water, oceans, and even in snow on mountaintops. The most widely used laboratory species is chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Cells of this species are haploid and can grow on a simple medium of inorganic salts, using photosynthesis to provide energy (about chlamydomonas). Deriving energy from photosynthesis, with an alternative carbon source of acetate, c. reinhardtii can also thrive in total darkness (about chlamydomonas). Over the years, studied of chlamydomonas have provided major research contributions in the areas of photosynthesis and molecular biology (merchant et al. , 2007).

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers