HIST 1103 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Town Meeting, London Company, Peaceful Coexistence

32 views4 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Examination of what the founders of each colony expected it to become and what became the reality; helps explain evolution of an identity separate from england. a. ii. Comparison of virginia as representative of southern colonies and. The london company (aka virginia company) as a profit- making venture. Searching for precious metals, as well as the fur trade. a. ii. Vision for jamestown: mostly replication of english society a. ii. 1. a. ii. 2. a. ii. 3. a. ii. 4. Peaceful coexistence with indians: reality of early settlement b. i. Death as a way of life (3 out of 4 settlers died during first winter) b. ii. Winter of 1609-1610: started with 500 people, only 60 survive: reorganization in 1618: coping with american realities c. i. Headright system if you will come to virginia, we will give you. Establishment of house of burgess/limited self-governance undercuts corporate control. House of burgess was the small legislative body of virginia colony. c. iii. Virginia becomes royal colony in 1624: the nature of virginia society d. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers