HIST 2003 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Townshend Acts

20 views1 pages

Document Summary

Ideology of republicanism: this was a belief that stressed the importance that that those involved in self-go(cid:448)er(cid:374)i(cid:374)g should do it for the (cid:862)pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) good(cid:863) rather tha(cid:374) the(cid:373)sel(cid:448)es. It (cid:449)as a (cid:271)elief that stated that the individuals in government be ever diligent in the corrupting nature of power and look out for tyranny and rising conspiracies that would destroy the will and good of the people. John locke: a radi(cid:272)al thi(cid:374)ker that agreed (cid:449)ith the philosophy of aristotle i(cid:374) that a perso(cid:374)"s (cid:373)i(cid:374)d (cid:449)as a blank state, also known as tabula rasa. He argued that individuals were more affected and formed by their environment; thus those living in riches were not more successful because they were superior but because they had more access to things the common colonist did not have. He also placed education as a vital tool to create people that were more rational and more likely to question authority.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers