BIS 10 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: British Science Association, Magical Thinking, Inductive Reasoning

52 views2 pages

Document Summary

Knowledge where does it come from: the royal society 1833, before this scientist were known as natural philosophers. It was a luxury pursuit to study and think about how the world works: coi(cid:374)ed the ter(cid:373) (cid:862)s(cid:272)ie(cid:374)tist. (cid:863, babbage, whewell, jones, and herschel, empiricism: facts came from senses, observations. Inductive reasoning: by observing, natural laws could be derived: deductive reasoning: state a rule and find evidence to support or refute it. Inductive reasoning: (cid:862)(cid:271)otto(cid:373)-up(cid:863) approa(cid:272)h, start by making observations and you try to observe patterns, continued observations tend to show a more general pattern. Then we develop a hypothesis: we then might more general conclusions, ex: my roommate drinks 5 hour energy and gets all as. My classmate drinks 5 hour energy and gets all as. My ta drinks 5 hour energy and gets all as: see a pattern, used in generating hypothesis, formulating theories, and discovering relationships (correlations), problems:

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers