BILD 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Natural Selection, Ecological Niche, Convergent Evolution

25 views2 pages

Document Summary

1. organisms: biodiversity: what they are, ecology: how they interact with each other and their environments, evolution: where they came from and how they change, homework, reading before every single lecture (clicker questions at beginning of lecture) 2. convergent evolution: similar traits that arose independently a. i, wings. Powered flight is the same trait arising independently in different. Common ancestor of dragonfly and macaw couldn"t fly a. i. 1. species a. i. 2. The wing take on different shapes due to which bone extended (index finger for bats and pinky for pterodactyl) 2. ecomorphs: shape or overall look specialized on a specific ecological niche a. i. a. ii. a. iii. Do this to reduce competition so that they each have their own habitat. Lizards that live near the ground eat smaller insects and are generally brown. Lizards that live on the bark and eat ants and other things and are a different color a. iv.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers