VEC 2100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Mouthfeel, Epigallocatechin Gallate, Gut Flora

18 views1 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 3: darker greens have more antioxidants, trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (teac) Measures the antioxidant capacity of a substance. Examples: rat spinach testing: feeding spinach thylakoids to rats. It decreases food intake and affects the insulin response. Aim of the study: investigate the effect of dietary thylakoids on the gut microbiota composition: green tea example (egcg) Green tea has an organic compound called epigallocatechin gallate (egcg), which has potential health related benefits. Egcg gives tea its mild astringency (makes your mouth feel fresh and clean after drinking) Tra(cid:374)sge(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:373)ouse e(cid:454)ists that ha(cid:448)e a (cid:373)i(cid:373)i(cid:272) ra(cid:374)ge of alzhei(cid:373)er"s disease- related pathologies. The mouse models do not fully replicate the disease: apparent single gene disorders and genetic mutation caused by dna changes in one gene, swedish mutation. Most (cid:449)ell k(cid:374)o(cid:449)(cid:374) ge(cid:374)eti(cid:272) (cid:448)ariatio(cid:374) that (cid:272)auses alzhei(cid:373)er"s disease.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers