History
Course
HIST 201
Professor
James Scow
Semester
Fall

Description
Pigafetta on Trade: • “For one fish hook or one knife, hose people gave us five or six chickens; for one comb, a pair of geese; for one mirror or pair of scissors, as many fish as would be sufficient for ten men; for a bell or a laze, one basketful of potatoes. . . . For a king of diamonds which is a playing card, they gave me six fowls and thought that they had even cheated me.” • He is very excited about it, and very please; the Chinese don’t seem pleased about getting things, they just seem to expect it • He is very fixated on food, it seems that they needed food • This is small scale trading; the Chinese has a large scale tributes going on • Most of what the Europeans are trading is utility stuff Zheng He Inscription on Tribute: • “The country of Hulumosi presented lions, leopards with gold spots, and large western horses. The country of Adan presented {girattes} as well as the long-horned {oryx}. The country of Mugudushu presented {striped zebras} as well as lions. The country of Bulawa presented camels which run one thousand li as well as camel-birds {ostriches}. • Since the tribute isn’t actually trade, so the passage is laid out differently • The animals in this passage aren’t intended for eating; these are the biggest and most impressive animals that they could get their hands on – they are intended to be show pieces Reli
More Less

Related notes for HIST 201

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit