L33 Psych 354 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attack, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

15 views12 pages

Document Summary

Diagnosis of anxiety disorders: specific phobia=a marked fear or anxiety about a specific object or situation that almost always provokes immediate fear or anxiety. Interpersonal interactions=dating, parties, etc: agoraphobia=fear of public spaces, dsm-5 defines agoraphobia in terms of anxiety about being in situations from which escape might be either difficult or embarrassing. Good insight=patient understands beliefs are at least probably not true: 2. Poor insight=patient thinks beliefs are probably true: 3. They then find their response unpleasant and attempt to suppress it. Too much suppression may lead to a rebound effect, culminating in a vicious cycle. If you continue the drug you maintain improvement, but relapse is common with discontinuation. I(cid:373)agi(cid:374)al=o(cid:374)l(cid:455) i(cid:374) o(cid:374)e"s (cid:373)i(cid:374)d: fear hierarchy often used as part of the exposure component of therapy, systematic desensitization, get patient into relaxed state. In relaxed state, person is presented with something at the bottom of the fear hierarchy.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers