BIOL1003 Study Guide - Final Guide: Thylacine, Archaeopteryx, Comparative Anatomy

78 views2 pages
16 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
2.1 Darwin (1809 1882)
1846-1854 after publishing the Beagle findings, Darwin spent 8 years on barnacles, learning
comparative anatomy, homology and classification - this helped establish him as a naturalist
so that he could propose the idea of evolution (controversial).
1837 Darwin thought the Galapagos irds ere arieties of okigirds ut Joh Goulds
expertise helped Darwin identify that they were all finches.
1859 - Darwin put forward a plausible mechanism for evolution - Natural Selection.
Darwin's syllogism - if:
i. There is variation within a population (phenotype, behaviour, genotypes, DNA
sequences and chromosomes); and
ii. Variation is heritable; and
iii. There is a struggle for existence; and
iv. “oe ariats surie/reprodue etter tha others
v. Then natural selection must occur.
Darwin used a phylogeny or evolutionary tree to establish common ancestry.
On his second Voyage on the Beagle (1831-1835), Dari as readig Charles Lells Principles
of Geology and read and considered the idea of gradualism big changes being built up
graduall, ad gradual eig a stepise proess.
Homology
Richard Owen (1804-1892) interpreted the fossils of the Beagle expedition.
Homology common ancestry between structures or character, eg: organs, genes and
behaviours.
Characters are just features or features of structures of an organism/species, eg:
feathers: blue vs. red.
Homologous characters characters in different organisms that are similar because they
were inherited from a common ancestor.
By looking at many homologous characters, scientists can estimate which species are closer
relatives of each other, eg: the Tasmanian tiger is marsupial, like the kangaroo. This
homologous character was used to differentiate its phylogeny from that of the placental
wolf.
Analogy similarity attributable to similarity in function.
Ma of Daris other piees of eidee for eolutio are asiall other eaples of
homology:
o Embryology - embryos show homologous characters not obvious in the adult form.
o Vestiges homologous characters that are dramatically reduced in form and
function from the original, eg: appendix in humans.
o Atavisms homologous characters found in ancestral species that only appear
rarely in living species, eg: tails in humans.
o Fossils using shared homologous characters, we can place fossils on cladograms. In
Daris da, ol a fe isolated fossils ere aailale suggestig ho ajor
transitions happened, eg: gradual origin of birds from dinosaurs origin of feathers:
Archaeopteryx modern birds.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

There is variation within a population (phenotype, behaviour, genotypes, dna sequences and chromosomes); and. Dar(cid:449)i(cid:374)(cid:859)s da(cid:455), o(cid:374)l(cid:455) a fe(cid:449) isolated fossils (cid:449)ere a(cid:448)aila(cid:271)le suggesti(cid:374)g ho(cid:449) (cid:373)ajor transitions happened, eg: gradual origin of birds from dinosaurs origin of feathers: Artificial selection: there is variation among individuals in some attribute and trait, humans prefer certain traits, and selectively grow/breed animals with those traits. Natural selection: there is variation among individuals in a trait, a consistent difference between that trait and reproductive success or survivorship, the variation is (at least partially) inherited. Then: within-generation effect the advantageous variants will become more frequent in the population as they survive to reproduce. If the population is not at equilibrium, there will also be a between-generation effect; the offspring generation will differ from the parental generation. Misconceptions: mis(cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)eptio(cid:374): (cid:862)if stude(cid:374)ts are taught that they are a(cid:374)i(cid:373)als, they (cid:449)ill beha(cid:448)e like a(cid:374)i(cid:373)als .