LING 1001 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Computational Linguistics, Neurolinguistics, Historical Linguistics

194 views9 pages

Document Summary

Scientific study of the nature and use of language (definition) Theory attempts to explain the nature and structure of all human languages. An * (asterisk) indicates that a sentence (or a form) is ungrammatical. Examples taken from language files 11 (2011) pp. 9: i will pick the package up at eight o"clock, at eight o"clock, i will pick up the package, package up pick at o"clock will the right i, i will picks the package up at eight o"clock. In linguistics, grammatical and ungrammatical: grammatical: Implicit knowledge about how to apply the rule in your grammar to new words. Implicit knowledge about what would be good combinations of sounds in. Linguistic competence: ability to understand and produce an unlimited amount of language. Linguistic performance: actual observable use of language. Prescriptive grammar is a set of rules designed to define the correct" or proper" way to use language. Never end a sentence with a preposition.