HRM822 Midterm Study Notes
Question 1 -What isEnvironmental Scanning? Howisitaccomplished? Whyisitimportant?
What external factorsshould you scan?
Environmental Scanningisthesystematicmonitoringofthemajor factorsinfluencing
the organization to identify trendsthatmight affect the formulation and
implementation of bothorganizationaland HRstrategies.
It isimportant because ...
Stages of EnvironmentalAnalysis:
1. Scanning -an attempt toidentifyearlysignsofchangesand trends
2. Monitoring -a systematicapproachtokeyindicatorssuchasabsenteeismdue
to a specific illness
3. Forecasting -an attempttoproject the impact ofthe trend ontothe
4. Assessing -describing theimpact ofthetrend onthe organization
5. Socio-Cultural Factors
12. Labour Supply
Question 2 -What isJob Analysis? Whyisitimportant? Whatarethefivestages?
Job Analysisisan examinationofthejobsintheorganizationwithaview to
documentingthe tasks,dutiesandresponsibilitiesofajoband theKSAO'sassociated
with the successful performance ofthejob
o KSAO ==Knowledge,Skill,Ability&Other Attributes
Knowledge -the bodyfinformation,usuallyofafactualor procedural
nature, that allowsan individualtoperformatask successfully
Skill -the individual'slevelofproficiencyin typically expressed in
Ability -a more general,enduringtrait orcapability an individual
possesses at thetimewhen he/shebeginstoperform a task
Other Attributes -includeswork experience, It isimportant because:
o Incorporates recent changesinprocessesand techniques,keepingjob
descriptionsup to date
o Ensures that HR demandand supplyare matchedbyrecruitment &selection
o Aligns HR programstocorporate strategy&futureneeds
o Trackstechnological changes
o Helpsto prioritize work activitiesand functions
o Identifiescore functions&future skillrequirements
o Providesfor comparisonswithdifferent work sites(even globally)
o Assists in developing trainingprograms
o Allowsfor stated and understood performancestandards
o Assists in meeting payequityrequirements
o Allowsfor creation of required workplace accommodations
o Assists in developing organizationalidentity
o Used to set compensationguidelines
o Incorporated into Health&Safety program
Five/Seven Stages of Job Analysis:
1. Determine the job to beanalyzed.
2. Determine the appropriate methods.
3. Determine whoshould beinvolved
4. Examine therecordeddataforthejob orprocess
5. Conduct the analysisand reviewthedata
6. Define andformalize newmethodsand performance standards
7. Maintain the new methodsand standardsthatwereintroduced.
Question 3-What isa Job Description? Whatshould itcontain?Howisitconstructed? Whatits
Job Description isthe written documentsproduced bythejob analysisprocess,
emphasizing duties,tasks,specificationsand competencies.
It should contain the following:
1. List the dutiesin order of importance.
2. Indicate the amount oftime devotedtoeachduty/task.
3. Job title
4. Job code or classification number fromtheNOC
5. Compensation category
6. The department or subunit
7. The title of the ‘report to’
8. The datethe description wascompleted
9. The name of the job analyst
It isimportant because ... Question 4 -What isHuman ResourcesForecasting? Whatarethebenefitsofconducting
Human ResourcesForecastingistheheart oftheHRplanningprocess.It can bedefined
as"ascertaining the netrequirement for personnelbydeterminingthe demand and
supply of human resources nowand inthefuture”.Forecastingimproveswhen avariety
of techniquesare used.
Benefitsof HR Forecasting:
1. Reduces HR costs asthereislesslikelihood oflast minute crisisinterventions
and stop-gap measures.
2. Ispro-active soit requiresconstant job analysesand updatingofrequired and
3. Increasesorganizationalflexibility asitallowsfor the development ofoptions,
succession planning and cross-training.
4. Ensure a linkage to thebusinessforecast therebyaligningHRwithother
businessfunctionsand objectivesand keepingsenior executives awareofHR
5. Ensures that organizationalrequirementstakeprecedence over issuesof
resource scarcity,astheorganizationwillbe prepared and willhave determined