BIOL 459 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Alphavirus, Lentivirus, Provirus
4 pages65 viewsFall 2017
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
[Classification of Infectious Agents: Viruses
What are bacteriophages?
Viruses that infect bacteria
What are the structures of a virion
(completely developed viral particle)?
● Nucleic acid
Morphology of Viruses (4).
● Helical → hollow, cylindrical
● Polyhedral → many-sided
● Complex → combine helical and
Taxonomy of viruses.
● Genus → -virus
● Family → - viridae
● Order → - ales
Growing Bacteriophages in Laboratory
● Viruses be grown in living cells!
● Bacteriophages grown in bacteria
○ Form plaques on the surface
of agar plate
○ Measured in plaque-forming
Growing Animal Viruses in the Laboratory
● In living animals
● In embryonated eggs
○ Viruses injected into egg
● In cell cultures
○ Tissues treated w/ enzymes to
○ Cytophatic effect→
deterioration of cell with virus
○ Continuous cell lines used →
● Cytopathic effects
● Serological tests
● Nucleic acids
Name the two bacteriophage cycles.
● Lytic cycle
○ Phage DNA incorporated into
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.