HORT 2043 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - United States Department Of Agriculture, Agriculture, Soil Ph

93 views52 pages

Document Summary

Agriculture: the science, art, and business of cultivating the soil, producing crops and raising livstock to meet the needs of humans. Includes: agronomy, animal science-cattle, horses, poultry science-chicken, fisheries-aquaculture, plant pathology- crops, entomology-all plants and animals susceptible to pests, biosystems engineering, horticulture- the branch concerned with intensively cultivated plants used by people for food, medicine, environmental modification and beauty. Farming or gardening-the basic rule for organic agriculture is to allow natural substances and prohibit synthetic: problems, not all-natural (cid:373)ate(cid:396)ials a(cid:396)e allo(cid:449)ed fo(cid:396) use i(cid:374) (cid:862)o(cid:396)ga(cid:374)i(cid:272) ga(cid:396)de(cid:374)i(cid:374)g(cid:863, not all materials used in organic gardening are natural. Historical definition- (cid:862)organic agriculture is farming without synthetic pesticides and conventional fe(cid:396)tilize(cid:396)s(cid:863) *not a good definition* More suitable definition from the national organic standards board (nosb) adopted april 1995- (cid:862)organic agriculture is a production system that sustains the health of soils, ecosystems and people. It relies on ecological processes, biodiversity and cycles adapted to local conditions, rather than the use of i(cid:374)puts (cid:449)ith ad(cid:448)e(cid:396)se effe(cid:272)ts(cid:863)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers