PHILOS 104 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Philippa Foot, Peter Railton, Consequentialism

63 views11 pages
23 Jul 2018
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Morality is not as simple as deciding upon some situationally abstract meaning of good . So, to answer this question, one must first define the good as per morality"s grounds, as well as their connection , regardless of what [action] interpretation seems most plausible. I shall do so by examining philippa foot"s argument within her book natural goodness , in particular chapters. 2-4 in which she constructs logical framework from natural normativity to a human"s practical rationality. Next i will utilize thomas hobbes" book leviathan in order to reinforce that foot"s goodness to be understood as grounds for morality is , in fact, correct. Upon this basis between the connection of the good and morality, i will first show why interpretation (a) is incorrect due to its lack of impartiality for the differences among us. Differences, as illustrated through hobbes and my own examples, can bring about dissenting opinions in regards to best state of affairs .