CLT3378 STUDY GUIDE EXAM 2.doc

6 Pages

Department
Classics
Course Code
CLT-3378
Professor
Kevin Oliver

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Study Guide for Exam 2
(2/13/13-3/20/13)
Affan: one of the sahaba (companions of Islamic prophet Muhammed) [The Thousand and One Nights]
Agni: Hindu deity, one of the most important of the Vedic gods. He is the god of fire and the
acceptor of sacrifices.
Anat:
Sister of Astarte and Baal; Goddess; Burning down villages and kills
people and furniture; apparently a virgin War Goddess (like Athena)
Destroys Death
Chastity
Ants:
Anu: (SKY) Gives Ishtar the Bull of heaven [Epic of Gilgamesh]; [Epic of Creation] Anu is the
child of Anshar and Kishar and gives birth to Ea/Nudimmud
Apsu: Ocean gods (fresh water) [Epic of Creation]; plan to kill their kids (Tiamat’s kids) Father
of creation killing his kids.
Asherah: El’s wife: Asherah: Before they go to Asherah they have to get gifts of gold and
wonderful gifts to her.
Asita:
Asita: Ascetic (a hermit/fasting/meditate/etc) who foresses that Buddha
will do and recognizes that he has “marks” of a great man/savior like
web feet/hands, wheels on his feet, a dot on forehead
Asita weeps/distressed because he is going to die soon of old age and
won’t be able to see Buddha in his lifetime and the things he will do.
Buddha’s father, Suddhudana is also distressed because he (Buddha)
has to leave his kingdom to do these savior acts and won’t be the
earthly king to succeed his father.
Azazyel: Azazel (here spelled ‘ăzā’zyēl) was one of the chief Grigori, a group of fallen angels
who married women. This same story (without any mention of Azazel) is told in Genesis 6:2–4:
Baal/Haddad: Defeats death the main problem in battle
Babylon: an Akkadian city-state (founded in 1894 BC by an Amorite dynasty) of ancient
Mesopotamia
bodhi tree: under which Siddhartha Gautama, the spiritual teacher later known as Gautama
Buddha, is said to have achieved enlightenment, or Bodhi. In religious iconography, the Bodhi
tree is recognizable by its heart-shaped leaves, which are usually prominently displayed.
Brahma: the Hindu god (deva) of creation and one of the Trimūrti, the others being Vi ņu and
Śiva. [Vedic Indian selections]
Bull of Heaven: Given to Ishtar by Anu [Epic of Gilgamesh]; the creature killed by Gilgamesh and
Enkidu that was sent from the Gods. (divine)
Buluqiya: Prince in The Thousand and One Nights selections; left on Isle of Golden Flowers
[Thousand and One Nights Selection]
Byblos: The name Byblos is Greek; papyrus received its early Greek name (byblos, byblinos)
from its being exported to the Aegean through Byblos. Hence the English word Bible is derived
from byblos as "the (papyrus) book.
chest hair
Death: [Baal Cycle] Central conflict: Argument of Baal with Death; Death
demands a tribute from Baal (someone who is powerful) There is a power
struggle on who is superior then the other. So then they fight. Death is killed
by Baal.
Dumuzi: [Descent of Ishtar to the Underworld] a mortal lover of Ishtar dies in her place in the
underworld
Ea:
Also referred to as Nudimmud in [The Epic of Creation] is the child of Anu; Ea has a son
marduk. She also holds Apsu down, casts a sleeping spell and kills (Apsu) him in his sleep.
Takes his crown. Makes his home in the fresh water and Tiamat and other gods live in salt
water.
[Descent of Ishtar]: creates a person (good-looks) to solve a problem; to rescue Ishtar
from the Underworld
Eden: Garden of God
El: Might be the same character; El means god
Ellil: wants to kill humanity off because they were loud and a nuisance [Part II Epic of
Gilgamesh]
Elizabeth:
Enkidu: wild-man raised by animals and ignorant of human society. opposite of Gilgamesh [Epic of
Gilgamesh]; : Match to Gilgamesh to be just as strong as him & brave

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Study Guide for Exam 2 (2/13/13-3/20/13) Affan: one of the sahaba (companions of Islamic prophet Muhammed) [The Thousand and One Nights] Agni: Hindu deity, one of the most important of the Vedic gods. He is the god of fire and the acceptor of sacrifices. Anat:  Sister of Astarte and Baal; Goddess; Burning down villages and kills people and furniture; apparently a virgin War Goddess (like Athena)  Destroys Death  Chastity Ants: Anu: (SKY) Gives Ishtar the Bull of heaven [Epic of Gilgamesh]; [Epic of Creation] Anu is the child of Anshar and Kishar and gives birth to Ea/Nudimmud Apsu: Ocean gods (fresh water) [Epic of Creation]; plan to kill their kids (Tiamat’s kids) Father of creation killing his kids. Asherah: El’s wife:Asherah: Before they go toAsherah they have to get gifts of gold and wonderful gifts to her. Asita: • Asita: Ascetic (a hermit/fasting/meditate/etc) who foresses that Buddha will do and recognizes that he has “marks” of a great man/savior like web feet/hands, wheels on his feet, a dot on forehead • Asita weeps/distressed because he is going to die soon of old age and won’t be able to see Buddha in his lifetime and the things he will do. Buddha’s father, Suddhudana is also distressed because he (Buddha) has to leave his kingdom to do these savior acts and won’t be the earthly king to succeed his father. Azazyel: Azazel (here spelled ‘ăzā’zyēl) was one of the chief Grigori, a group of fallen angels who married women. This same story (without any mention ofAzazel) is told in Genesis 6:2–4: Baal/Haddad: Defeats death the main problem in battle Babylon: an Akkadian city-state (founded in 1894 BC by an Amorite dynasty) of ancient Mesopotamia bodhi tree: under which Siddhartha Gautama, the spiritual teacher later known as Gautama Buddha, is said to have achieved enlightenment, or Bodhi. In religious iconography, the Bodhi tree is recognizable by its heart-shaped leaves, which are usually prominently displayed. Brahma: the Hindu god (deva) of creation and one of the Trimūrti, the others being Viṣņu and Śiva. [Vedic Indian selections] Bull of Heaven: Given to Ishtar byAnu [Epic of Gilgameshthe creature killed by Gilgamesh and Enkidu that was sent from the Gods. (divine) Buluqiya: Prince in The Thousand and One Nights selections; left on Isle of Golden Flowers [Thousand and One Nights Selection] Byblos: The name Byblos is Greek; papyrus received its early Greek name (byblos, byblinos) from its being exported to theAegean through Byblos. Hence the English word Bible is derived from byblos as "the (papyrus) book. chest hair Death: [Baal Cycle] Central conflict: Argument of Baal with Death; Death demands a tribute from Baal (someone who is powerful) There is a power struggle on who is superior then the other. So then they fight. Death is killed by Baal. Dumuzi: [Descent of Ishtar to the Underworld] a mortal lover of Ishtar dies in her place in the underworld Ea: • Also referred to as Nudimmud in [The Epic of Creation] is the child ofAnu; Ea has a son marduk. She also holds Apsu down, casts a sleeping spell and kills (Apsu) him in his sleep. Takes his crown. Makes his home in the fresh water and Tiamat and other gods live in salt water. • [Descent of Ishtar]: creates a person (good-looks) to solve a problem; to rescue Ishtar from the Underworld Eden: Garden of God El: Might be the same character; El means god Ellil: wants to kill humanity off because they were loud and a nuisance [Part II Epic of Gilgamesh] Elizabeth: Enkidu: wild-man raised by animals and ignorant of human society. opposite of Gilgamesh [Epic of Gilgamesh];: Match to Gilgamesh to be just as strong as him & brave Ereshkigal: (Queen of the Underworld) the usual treatment when they slowly strip everything away from you [Descent of Ishtar] four winds: the four chief Anemoi, Boreas (Aquilon in Latin) was the north wind and bringer of cold winter air, Notus was the south wind and bringer of the storms of late summer and autumn, and Zephyrus was the west wind and bringer of light spring and early summer breezes; Eurus, the east wind Gilgamesh: Sumerian king. Mythical figure [Epic of Gilgamesh] Heather: Hathor: [Flood myth…reversed] • Hawthor is the eye of Re a goddess who can also be a cow sometimes; His bidding is to kill the humans in the desert… humans were plotting against Re and he knows this and wants to do away with them • Hawthor’s rage gives birth to Sekmet (cow-horns) • Lion & sun disk is Hawthor Humbaba: giant, protector of Pine Forest [Epic of Gguardian of the enchanted forest Illuyanka: Indra: [Life of Buddha] Watches when the child is born • The king of heaven • No one has ever been born from the side of their mother • Keep from falling out through a bad place (vagina) Ishtar:wants Gilgamesh, offers gifts [Epic of Gilgamesh] Isis: Osiris’s wife who kills two babies in the fire and steals back her husband’s coffin John Judah Judge River: Sea = Judge River = sea serpent/dragon Kala: a deity, in which sense it is not always distinguishable from kāla meaning "black". It often used as one of the various names or forms of Yama. (the great death or black) Kothar-wa-Hasis: o Lives in Egypt south where Baal lives when Baal goes to seek him out o Craftsmen god o Gives him weapons to defeat the sea; drinks the sea Kumarbi: [Song of Kumarbi] the chief god of the Hurrians. He is the son of Anu (the sky), and father of the storm-god Teshub. He was identified by the Hurrians with Sumerian Enlil, and by the Ugaritia
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit