12 views5 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor
Tiger tranfertECON203 Exam 4 (Chapters 13-16) Study
Guide
This study guide reviews the basic concepts covered in each chapter. Any topic discussed in class may
be included in your exam. Not all topics discussed in class are presented in this study guide.
Chapter 13
Aggregate market: measure demand/supply for all goods in an economy. Price level (CPI) for y-
axis. Real GDP for x-axis
When a recessionary gap exist, all resources available to produce goods + services are not being
utilized.
Unemployment:
-Unemployment rate is above the national rate of employment.
-High unemployment tends to decrease wages for new workers.
-Decrease in wages leads to decrease in cost of production.
-A decrease in cost of production causes an increase of SRAS. (Shifts to the right)
-When SRAS increases, the recessionary gap shrinks.
Aggregate demand (AD): sum of all products (C+I+G+NX) a country desires at various prices
(C+I+G=NX)
Consumption (C) refers to the goods and services purchased by consumers.
Investment (I) sometimes called fixed investments is the purchase of capitol goods. It is the sum
if nonresidential investments and residential investments.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Government Spending (G) refers to the purchases of goods and services by the federal, state,
and local governments. It does not include government transfers, or interest payments on gov’t
debt.
Imports (N) are the purchases of foreign goods and services by consumers, business firms, and
U.S. gov’t.
Exports (X) are the purchases of U.S. goods and service by foreigners.
Short run aggregate supply (SRAS): sum of all products firms would be willing and able to
produce and sell at various prices
Intersection of AD and SRAS yields actual output (real GDP) and price level (CPI)
Long run aggregate supply (LRAS) represents how much output the country could sustainably
produce if utilizing all resources. Is a hypothetical measurement. Is a vertical line.
Recessionary Gap when actual output is less than potential output
Inflationary Gap when actual output is greater than potential output
How recessionary gap would naturally close itself
1. In recessionary gap, unemployment increases
2. When unemployment increases, wages for new hires decreases
3. When, wages for new hires decreases, cost of production of goods decreases
4. cost of production of goods decreases, SRAS, increases
5. when SRAS increases, recessionary gap shrinks
Chapter 14 part 1
Define fiscal policy- Gov’t changing it income (taxes) and/or spending in order to achieve a
change in output and/or price levels. (Usually about manipulating aggregate demand)
Limitations of Fiscal Policy
- Time lag between creation of recessionary gap and
implementation of Fiscal Policy
- Shrining area of law maker discretion
- Difficulty estimating potential output
Discretionary Fiscal Policy v Automatic Fiscal Policy
1.) Automatic Fiscal Policy- does not require an act of congress.
-Based on existing law
-Stabilizers
-Ex) unemployment insurance
2.) Discretionary Fiscal Policy- result of an act of congress.
- Ex) Stimulus Bill
Expansionary Fiscal Policy fiscal actions (increase in government spending or decrease in taxes)
to close a recessionary gap
Ex) Stimulus Bill
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

This study guide reviews the basic concepts covered in each chapter. Any topic discussed in class may be included in your exam. Not all topics discussed in class are presented in this study guide. Chapter 13: aggregate market: measure demand/supply for all goods in an economy. When a recessionary gap exist, all resources available to produce goods + services are not being utilized. Unemployment rate is above the national rate of employment. High unemployment tends to decrease wages for new workers. Decrease in wages leads to decrease in cost of production. A decrease in cost of production causes an increase of sras. (shifts to the right) When sras increases, the recessionary gap shrinks: aggregate demand (ad): sum of all products (c+i+g+nx) a country desires at various prices (c+i+g=nx) Consumption (c) refers to the goods and services purchased by consumers. Investment (i) sometimes called fixed investments is the purchase of capitol goods.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers