CRMJ 254 Midterm Review

3 Pages

Department
Criminal Justice
Course Code
CRMJ 254
Professor
Laura Hahn

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
CRMJ 254 Midterm Review
Mala in Se- Crimes that are wrong in themselves, wrong everywhere
Mala Prohibita- Offense that are illegal because law define them as such (Trespassing)
Dark Figure of crime-Number of crimes officially not counted by police
UCR part 1 crimes- number of reported offenses
UCR part 2 crimes- mala prohibita crimes
NIBRS- National Incident Based Reporting System: method for collecting crime better than
UCR
NCVS- Method for assesing Victimization in the US
Self report studies- Ask people to reveal own law violations, gets rid of dark figure
Crime Index- Estimate of crimes committed
Exclusionary rule- illegally obtained evidence must be excluded from trials in federal and some
state courts
4th amendment- Unreasonable search and seizure
Search: exploring or inspecting for purpose of finding evidence or person accused of a
crime
Seizure: taking personal property or them in response to a violation of criminal law
Warrant: Written document from courts ordering law enforcement to conduct searches
5th amendment- Self-incrimination, Double jeopardy, grand jury indictment
Self Incrimination- Being a witness against oneself. Cannot be forced
Nolo Contendre (No contest)- plead if confession will incriminate themselves
Confession- admission by a person accused of a crime that he or she committed
Miranda Rights- have to be read before interrogation
6th amendment- speedy trial, impartial jury where the crime was committed, be informed of the
nature and causation of the accusation, confront opposing witnesses, compulsory process for
obtaining favorable witnesses, counsel
Speedy Trial- cant be kept in jail for over a year without a trial
Impartial Jury- crime must be tried in jurisdiction where it was committed
Informed of Nature and Causation of Accusation- know the charges against them
Confront Opposing Witnesses- defendant present during trial & can cross examine
witnesses against them
Compulsory Process for Obtaining Favorable Witnesses- can use subpoena to get
testimony from witnesses that will help the defense
Subpoena- written order requires person to appear in court to give testimony
Counsel- privately be able to obtain and pay for counsel or lawyers
8th amendment- excessive bail, cruel and unusual punishment
Excessive bail- amount of bail is more than necessary
Cruel and Unusual Punishment- Practice of capital punishment or death penalty.
Barbarous/torturous punishments are prohibited.
Electric Chair
Gas Chamber
Lethal Injection (most humane)
Firing Squad
Hang

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CRMJ 254 Midterm Review Mala in Se- Crimes that are wrong in themselves, wrong everywhere Mala Prohibita- Offense that are illegal because law define them as such (Trespassing) Dark Figure of crime-Number of crimes officially not counted by police UCR part 1 crimes- number of reported offenses UCR part 2 crimes- mala prohibita crimes NIBRS- National Incident Based Reporting System: method for collecting crime better than UCR NCVS- Method for assesing Victimization in the US Self report studies- Ask people to reveal own law violations, gets rid of dark figure Crime Index- Estimate of crimes committed Exclusionary rule- illegally obtained evidence must be excluded from trials in federal and some state courts 4th amendment- Unreasonable search and seizure Search: exploring or inspecting for purpose of finding evidence or person accused of a crime Seizure: taking personal property or them in response to a violation of criminal law Warrant: Written document from courts ordering law enforcement to conduct searches 5th amendment- Self-incrimination, Double jeopardy, grand jury indictment Self Incrimination- Being a witness against oneself. Cannot be forced Nolo Contendre (No contest)- plead if confession will incriminate themselves Confession- admission by a person accused of a crime that he or she committed Miranda Rights- have to be read before interrogation 6th amendment- speedy trial, impartial jury where the crime was committed, be informed of the nature and causation of the accusation, confront opposing witnesses, compulsory process for obtaining favorable witnesses, counsel Speedy Trial- cant be kept in jail for over a year without a trial Impartial Jury- crime must be tried in jurisdiction where it was committed Informed of Nature and Causation ofAccusation- know the charges against them Confront Opposing Witnesses- defendant present during trial & can cross examine witnesses against them Compulsory Process for Obtaining Favorable Witnesses- can use subpoena to get testimony from witnesses that will help the defense Subpoena- written order requires person to appear in court to give testimony Counsel- privately be able to obtain and pay for counsel or lawyers 8th amendment- excessive bail, cruel and unusual punishment Excessive bail- amount of bail is more than necessary Cruel and Unusual Punishment- Practice of capital punishment or death penalty. Barbarous/torturous punishments are prohibited. Electric Chair Gas Chamber Lethal Injection (most humane) Firing Squad Hang Proportionality review- determines if the application of the death penalty was fair and proportional AutomaticAppellate Review- 6 appeals in addition to original one from trial Furman v. Georgia 1972- stopped death penalty Gregg V. Georgia 1976- death penalty continued Aggravating- crime worse than usual Mitigating- crime less severe then usual Cannot be executed- Mental ill, developmentally delayed, under 18 Substantive Law- body of law that defines criminal offenses and their penalties. (what people legally may or may not do) Procedural Law- governs the way substantive laws are administered. (ways people can be legally arrested, searched, interrogated) Court Process (Defendant)- InitialAppearance, Preliminary Hearing,Arraignment Initial appearance- charges read Preliminary Hearing- Bail, indictment if Grand Jury determines probable cause Arraignment- Plea Bargain or No contest. Bench/Jury trial Bench Trial- Guilt or Innocence determined by judge alone Jury Trial- Guilt or Innocence determined by Jury recommendation Miscarriages of Justice- Protect innocent. Innocent until proven guilty E
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit