PSYC 260 Study Guide - Final Guide: Mortality Salience, Social Animal, Terror Management Theory

81 views5 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Typically prefer mates that are older than they are iii. Less likely to partake in meaningless sex than men: men i. Look at physical attractiveness when searching for a partner ii. The positive/negative feelings we have about ourselves ii. Our self-esteem is highly based off our satisfaction with our relationships; when you are meeting your relationship goals, you are happy iii. Sociometer hypothesis (leary et. al, 1995: proposes that self-esteem is a gauge of interpersonal, cyberball (ostracism) relationships i. Experiment used to see effects of ostracism ii. 3 people passing ball, then one person stops getting passed to iii. You don"t want to die a virgin on the last night on earth ii. Terror management theory: having a desire to live but realizing that death is inevitable iii. Baby boom was response to threat of nuclear bombs: communal relationships, clark & mills, 1979 i. Provides benefits to fulfill needs: reciprocal self-disclosure (aron, 1997) i.