ISYS111 Chapter Notes - Chapter 7: Cyberterrorism, Cyberwarfare, Extortion

74 views4 pages
ISYS111: FUNDAMENTALS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION SYSTEMS, WEEK 8
Learning Outcomes:
Recognise issues of ethics and information security that violate the common good associated with
information systems (LO 4)
Demonstrate practical skills in the major functions of spreadsheet, database and ePortfolio software (LO 5)
Essential Question:
What are the major threats to information security and how to minimise them?
Notes:
Information security:
Security the degree of protection against criminal activity, danger, damage and/or loss
Information security protetig a orgaisatio’s iforatio ad iforatio systes fro
unauthorised access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction
Threat any danger to which a system may be exposed
Exposure harm, loss or damage that can result if a threat compromises that resource
Vulnerability the possibility that the system will suffer harm by a threat
Factors that contribute to the vulnerability of organisational information resources:
Today’s iteroeted, iterdepedet, irelessly networked business environment
Smaller, faster, cheaper computers and storage devices
Decreasing skills necessary to be a computer hacker
International organised crime taking over cybercrime
Lack of management support
Unintentional threats to information systems:
Human errors
o The higher the level of employee, the greater the threat the employee poses as they
generally have greater access to corporate data
o Employees in human resources and information systems generally have access to sensitive
and personal information
o Other human mistakes may be:
Carelessness with laptops
Carelessness with computing devices
Opening questionable emails
Careless internet surfing
Poor password selection and use
Carelessess ith oe’s offie
Carelessness using unmanned devices
Carelessness with discarded equipment
Carelessness monitoring of environment
Social engineering getting around security by tricking computer users inside a computer into
revealing sensitive information or gaining unauthorised access privileges
o Most common example is when the attacker impersonates someone else on the telephone
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Recognise issues of ethics and information security that violate the common good associated with information systems (lo 4) Demonstrate practical skills in the major functions of spreadsheet, database and eportfolio software (lo 5) Information security: security the degree of protection against criminal activity, danger, damage and/or loss. Factors that contribute to the vulnerability of organisational information resources: today"s i(cid:374)ter(cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:374)e(cid:272)ted, i(cid:374)terdepe(cid:374)de(cid:374)t, (cid:449)irelessly networked business environment, smaller, faster, cheaper computers and storage devices, decreasing skills necessary to be a computer hacker. International organised crime taking over cybercrime: lack of management support. Deliberate threats to information systems: espionage or trespass occurs when an unauthorised individual attempts to gain illegal access to organisational information; crosses the legal boundary. Information extortion occurs when an attacker either threatens to steal, or actually steals information from a company: sabotage or vandalism the deliberate act that involves defacing an organisation"s website, theft of equipment and information.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers