Lesson 16 - FigurativeUsage
Metaphor - a word whose meaning has been transferred from the object or idea which it literally
denotes to an object or idea merely suggested by its literal sense
gland - originally "acorn" (secreting organs have an acornlike shape)
ventricle - originally "little belly" (shape of the chambers of heart)
1. Delirium (Latin de-: from & lira: furrow) - originally getting out of the furrow in plowing
2. Muscle - (Latin) originally "little mouse"
3. Cancer - (Latin) originally "crab"
4. Acetabulum - (Latin) originally "vinegar cup"
○ The socket of the hip bone into which the thigh bone fits
5. Anthrax - (Greek) originally "red-hot coal"
○ An infectious disease of cattle, s