Textbook Notes (363,137)
Canada (158,217)
Sociology (1,471)
SOC100H5 (498)
Chapter 12

Chapter 12

7 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Toronto Mississauga
Suzanne Casimiro

Chapter 12: Global Stratification Defn: Patterns of social inequality in the world as a whole Global Stratification: An Overview Terminology Labelled the rich industrial countries First World, less industrialized socialist countries the second world, and none-industrialized poor countries the third world 66 high income countries: nations with the highest overall standards of living 72 middle income countries: not as rich, nations with a standard of living about average for the world as a whole 56 low income countries: nations with a low standard of living in which most people are poor o This model has two advantages: Focuses on economic development rather than whether societies are capitalist or socialist It gives better picture of relative economic development of various countries because it doesnt lump together all lower-income countries into the single third world countries Social stratification within every nation High-Income Countries -roughly about 47% of Earths land -mostly in the northern hemisphere -about 22% of worlds people -three quarters of people in high-income countries live in or near cities -significant cultural differences exist among high-income countries -per capita income: average income per person per year -people in high-income countries enjoy 80% of worlds total income -many low-income people live in high-income countries Middle-Income Countries -per capita income of between $2500 and $10 000 -55% of people live in or near cities -remaining 45% live in rural areas, where most are poor and lack access to schools, medical care, adequate housing and safe water -72% of worlds nation come under this category -cluster of middle income countries include those that once made up the Soviet Union and those of Eastern Europe Low-Income Countries -majority of people are very poor -mostly agrarian societies with some industry -56 low income countries Cover 20% of planets land -home to about 1 billion people www.notesolution.com
More Less

Related notes for SOC100H5

Log In


Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.