COMS 101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 12: Comfort Object

25 views2 pages
Using Language
Meaning of words
Denotative meaning-the literal or dictionary meaning of a word or phrase
Describes the object, person, place, idea or event to which the word refers
Its dictionary definition
Connotative meaning-the meaning suggested by the associations or emotions triggered by a word or
phrase
Variable, figurative, subjective
Give words their intensity and emotional power to arouse listeners feelings of anger, pity,
love, fear, friendship, guilt
Using language accurately
Thesaurus-a book of synonyms
Using language clearly
Use familiar words
Choose concrete words-words that refer to tangible objects: people, places, and things
Abstract words-words that refer to ideas or concepts→ can be misinterpreted
Eliminate clutter-discourse that takes many more words than necessary to express an idea
Using language vividly
Imagery-the use of vivid language to create mental images of objects, actions, or ideas
Concrete words
Simile-an explicit comparison, introduced with the word “like” or “as,” between things that
are essentially different yet have something in common
EX: Walking into my gma’s home when I was a child was like being wrapped in a
giant security blanket.
Metaphor-an implicit comparison, not introduced with the world “like” or “as” between two
things that are essentially different yet have something in common
EX: America’s cities are the windows through which the world looks at American
society.
Avoid using cliches-a trite or overused expression
Rhythm-the pattern of sound in a speech created by the choice and arrangement of words
Parallelism-the similar arrangement of a pair or series of related words, phrases, or sentences
EX: I speak as a Republican. I speak as a woman. I speak as an American.
Repetition-reiteration of the same word or set of words at the beginning or end of successive
clauses or sentences
EX: We do not give up. We do not quit.
Alliteration-repetition of the initial consonant sound of close or adjoining words
EX: Nothing great is accomplished without cooperation, compromise, and common
cause.
Antithesis-the juxtaposition of contrasting ideas, usually in parallel structure
EX: Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country
Using language appropriately
Appropriateness to the occasion: “You guys” vs. “distinguished guests”
Appropriateness to the audience: do not use medical terms if your audience are not doctors
Appropriateness to the topic: do not use alliteration and metaphor when explaining how to change a
bike tire
Appropriateness to the speaker: one’s developed style as a public speaker, not everyday style
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Denotative meaning-the literal or dictionary meaning of a word or phrase. Describes the object, person, place, idea or event to which the word refers. Connotative meaning-the meaning suggested by the associations or emotions triggered by a word or phrase. Give words their intensity and emotional power to arouse listeners feelings of anger, pity, love, fear, friendship, guilt. Choose concrete words-words that refer to tangible objects: people, places, and things. Abstract words-words that refer to ideas or concepts can be misinterpreted. Eliminate clutter-discourse that takes many more words than necessary to express an idea. Imagery-the use of vivid language to create mental images of objects, actions, or ideas. Simile-an explicit comparison, introduced with the word like or as, between things that are essentially different yet have something in common. Ex: walking into my gma"s home when i was a child was like being wrapped in a giant security blanket.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers