BIOL 1001 Chapter : Biology Chapter 9 Part 3 Of 3

6 views4 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Cell division chapter 9 part 3 of 3. Sexual reproduction requires meiotic cell division fig. _mutation_______________ is a rare change in the dna of the genes that creates genetic diversity. _meiosis reduces chromosome number from diploid to haploid. _____chromosome replication precedes meiosis (just like mitosis) replication is followed by __two conservative cell divisions __ *meiosis i and *meiosis ii divisions produce __4 daughter cells instead of 2____ These daughter cells have half the number of chromosomes. With meiotic cell division, there is the number of chromosomes in the daughter cells fig. 2 - meiosis i - first division: prophase i (_90%_ of meiosis) Sister chromatids are linked at centromeres, _nonsister chromatids are linked at chiasmata__ (fig. The spindle forms and _spindle microtubules__capture _paired homologues__ Chiasmata where the maternal and paternal chromosomes (of a homologous pair) _have exchanged genetic material. This exchange of dna is called __crossing over_. The arms remain entangled and keep the homologous pair together until anaphase.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers