BIOL 1001 Chapter : T3 Biology Chapter 9 Part 3 Of 3

12 views4 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Cell division chapter 9 part 3 of 3. Sexual reproduction requires meiotic cell division fig. Mutation is a rare change in the dna of the genes that creates genetic diversity. Meiosis reduces chromosomes number from diploid to haploid chromosome replication precedes meiosis (just like mitosis) replication is followed by 2 consecutive cell division. *meiosis i and *meiosis ii divisions produce 4 daughter cell instead of 2. These daughter cells have half the number of chromosomes. With meiotic cell division, there is the number of chromosomes in the daughter cells fig. 2 - meiosis i - first division: prophase i (90% of meiosis) Sister chromatids are linked at centromeres, non-sister chromatids are linked at chaismata (fig. Chiasmata where the maternal and paternal chromosomes (of a homologous pair) have exchanged genetic material. This exchange of dna is called crossing over. The spindle forms and spindle microtubules capture paired homologues. Which side (maternal or paternal) faces which pole is random-

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers